Former Red Wings host open skate for military veterans at JLA - New York News

Former Red Wings host open skate for military veterans at Joe Louis Arena

Posted: Updated:

By FOX 2 News Staff

DETROIT (WJBK) -- Former Red Wings Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Jiri Fischer and Chris Osgood joined nearly 100 military veterans and active duty soldiers at Joe Louis Arena on Monday for a Military Appreciation Skate in honor of Veterans Day.

Click the video player to watch an interview with Draper.

Guests enjoyed a breakfast in the Olympia Club, followed by an open skate with family and friends.

GM Ken Holland says the team originally planned to honor veterans during a Nov. 10 home game, but the league's work stoppage wouldn't allow it to happen. Instead, he says the team decided on the open skate to pay honor to those who served.

Online: www.detroitredwings.com

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices