Minneapolis Club sexual assault case dismissed; Wanner speaks - New York News

William Wanner speaks after Minneapolis Club sex assault case dismissed

Posted: Updated:
MINNEAPOLIS (KMSP) -

After keeping quiet for nearly three years, Wayzata businessman William Wanner stepped in front of cameras twice Monday trying to repair his reputation now that the sex assault charges against him have been dismissed.

"It's just stomach-wrenching. Your life flashes in front of you. I will never get over it for the rest of my life. I will go to my grave thinking about this," said Wanner.

On Monday, the Hennepin County Attorney's Office dismissed the sexual assault case against businessman William Wanner stemming from reports of alleged activity at the Minneapolis Club. A six-page reason for dismissal was filed Monday morning. Defense attorney Joel Friedberg alleged the then 10 year old girl was coerced in to making allegations against Wanner.

"It's probably the most outrageous pleading I've seen in my life," said attorney Joe Friedberg.

Wanner, 67, was originally charged in late December 2009. Since then, the case has lingered in the courts, where it has been heard by five different judges and seen various appeals. One appeal got a taped interview with the girl thrown out.

"They were able to get the girl to make a kind of allegation against Mr. Wanner by essentially keeping her in a room until she agreed with them," said Friedberg. "Court of appeals said that was outrageous and nothing came out of that type of coercion over bearing police work. "

Monday morning, Friedberg said he called for a special hearing and was planning to prove Wanner's innocence by calling the girl, her parents and Wanner himself to the stand for the judge to decide if the case should go to trial. That hearing never happened.

Chuck Laszewski, spokesman for the Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman, told FOX 9 News, "We did not receive a notice of any type of hearing for today. Justice required us to dismiss this case and we did that. Did Mr. Friedberg really want to put this little girl through this?"

"He (Mike Freeman) won't comment because he knows if he came down and repeated these things after his immunity has been removed he could be sued," says Friedberg

With a previous condition not to see the girl, Wanner says he has no plans to now. Wanner is the owner of Wanner Engineer Inc. and is also business partners with the girl's mother for a separate business overseas.

Wanner had one clear answer when asked if considered any of his actions three years ago bad judgment.

"I will for the rest of my life," he said. "If I'm ever around kids, I'll make sure there is another adult with me, and that it's a friend."

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NY man arrested on DWI charge after friend killed

    NY man arrested on DWI charge after friend killed

    Police say a Long Island man struck and killed a friend after she got out of his car and started walking because she believed he was drunk.
    Police say a Long Island man struck and killed a friend after she got out of his car and started walking because she believed he was drunk.
  • Friday Night Live: July 25, 2014

    Friday Night Live: July 25, 2014

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:31 PM EDT2014-07-26 02:31:59 GMT
    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: QuickChek New Jersey Festival of Ballooning, Stephen "Twitch" Boss, actress Mary Lynn Rajskub, and Michael Chernow and Chef Daniel Holzman of the Meatball Shop.
    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: QuickChek New Jersey Festival of Ballooning, Stephen "Twitch" Boss, actress Mary Lynn Rajskub, and Michael Chernow and Chef Daniel Holzman of the Meatball Shop.
  • G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:37 PM EDT2014-07-26 01:37:26 GMT
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
    The MTA says there will be no service between the Nassau Avenue station in Greenpoint and Court Square in Long Island City until Sept. 2.
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
    The MTA says there will be no service between the Nassau Avenue station in Greenpoint and Court Square in Long Island City until Sept. 2.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices