Parts of Lower Manhattan cleanup continues - New York News

Parts of Lower Manhattan cleanup continues

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

The power has returned to most of Lower Manhattan after residents spent the better part of the week in the dark – many are excited to have the lights restored.  

One Midtown East building still had workers in hazmat suits as they continued the arduous post-Sandy cleanup process. 

Despite the building's name, Rivergate could not keep the flood waters out. The hi-rise now has the dubious distinction of being one of the last buildings in Manhattan still without power. 

Many residents described the experience and the word that comes to mind is powerless. 

"It's just getting used to the dark ages," said Rivergate resident Jeff Parris. "It's unpleasant feeling when have home but don't have home." 

At South Street Seaport, "super dry" got super wet – so much so, it too was still without power. 

The sign in the Abercrombie & Fitch window was succinct and to the point. It seemed Lower Manhattan was even lower in spirit. 

"It's been extremely dire situation downtown, not tremendous food or water or assistance." 

Community Board 1 member Julie Menin said she and volunteers knocked on thousands of doors and saw sobering reminders of Sandy's aftermath. 

"We saw seniors who had not had food or water in days," said Menin. 

There was little to no food at the Clover Deli either as they had to throw it all away before power came back. 

"It's a big cleanup process," said the store owner.  

With food scarce, customers who just had their power restored, happily refueled themselves with other energy sources.

"No food, but beer? Yes, got the essentials!" added one customer.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
  • Some StubHub accounts breached

    Some StubHub accounts breached

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:34:20 GMT
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices