New York City Marathon canceled - New York News

New York City Marathon canceled

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

The New York City marathon was canceled on Friday night.

The news came hours after Mayor Bloomberg defended the controversial decision to allow the marathon to go forward.

The mayor issued a statement Friday evening saying:

"The Marathon has been an integral part of New York City's life for 40 years and is an event tens of thousands of New Yorkers participate in and millions more watch. While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division. The marathon has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of courage and determination. We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it. We cannot allow a controversy over an athletic event - even one as meaningful as this - to distract attention away from all the critically important work that is being done to recover from the storm and get our city back on track. The New York Road Runners will have additional information in the days ahead for participants."

New York City had been gearing up to welcome thousands of runners amid destruction and power outages in portions of the Big Apple.


Several New Yorkers Good Day New York spoke with on Friday said they were outraged at the thought of people living in the dark for days after Hurricane Sandy while generators run for the marathon.

"The mayor has made that decision. The runners I've talked to and the ones we're hearing from on our website are agonizing over the decision. NYRR has set up a Race to Recover fund encouraging our runners to go there. People running can make donations themselves or set up a donation on Crowdrise.com," Runner's World Editor-in-Chief David Wiley told Good Day New York.

Hours before the cancellation, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that the organization would donate $1million to relief efforts and was asking each participant to donate at least $26.20 (one dollar per mile run) to the relief effort.

City Council member Domenic Recchia Jr. had called plans to hold the race "just wrong" in light of the ongoing misery among residents with no food, shelter or electricity.

Runner's World magazine had converted its annual pre-marathon party Friday into a free meal for anybody still displaced by the storm. NYRR had already canceled Friday's opening ceremony and a 5-kilometer run Saturday.

The marathon brings an estimated $340 million into the city.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday Night Live: August 29, 2014

    Friday, August 29 2014 11:14 PM EDT2014-08-30 03:14:33 GMT

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .

    This is Fox 5's Friday Night Live, a weekly celebration of the end of the work week. All summer long, the Fox 5 team brings you the latest in entertainment, nightlife, food, and music in our area. In this jam-packed episode: Electric Zoo Festival, Beth Shak, Richard Albrecht, Kathy Wakile, and Moses Laboy .


  • Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Cocktails with Moses Laboy

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:49 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:49:46 GMT
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
    Mixologist Moses Laboy came to Friday Night Live to mix up some cocktails to get us started on the holiday weekend. Born and raised in Spanish Harlem, Laboy has mixed drinks at Red Rooster, Los Americanos, Le Colonial NYC, and elsewhere. He has served drinks to President Obama and President Clinton.
  • Business is good at Coney Island

    Business is good at Coney Island

    Friday, August 29 2014 10:22 PM EDT2014-08-30 02:22:32 GMT
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
    From the brand-new Thunderbolt roller coaster to the world-famous boardwalk, tourists and business owners alike say Coney Island had a great ride of its own this summer. Toms Coney Island's general manager Vasilios Tourlokas says the mild summer impacted his boardwalk business in the best way possible: a 10 to 15 percent increase.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices