Christie begins preparations for possible NJ TRANSIT shutdown - New York News

Possible NJ TRANSIT shutdown

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie's administration announced that preparations have begun for the potential shutdown of NJ TRANSIT bus, rail, light rail and Access Link service, effective Monday. 

Officials said this preliminary step is being implemented as the statewide transportation agency continues preparations for Hurricane Sandy.  

"The safety of our customers, employees and the public-at-large is paramount," said NJ TRANSIT Board Chairman and New Jersey Department of Transportation Commissioner James Simpson. "By beginning this important process, NJ TRANSIT will be better able to support the state's response to Hurricane Sandy by freeing up buses or other resources that may be needed for hurricane relief." 

Gov. Christie's administration issued the same full-scale shutdown of the NJ TRANSIT during Hurricane Irene in August of 2011 for nearly 36 hours. Officials said that decision last year is credited with saving billions in NJ TRANSIT assets and enabled NJ TRANSIT to restart service with all equipment available for use. There was also no customer or employee injuries were reported during this time.  

The systematic shutdown of NJ TRANSIT service will require a minimum of 12 hours to complete. The process requires the relocation and securing of buses, rail equipment and other NJ TRANSIT assets away from flood-prone areas. It also requires complete coordination with state and local officials throughout the process.  

The administration said this action is a precautionary measure and that no final decisions have been made regarding any potential future service suspension.  

Saturday afternoon Gov. Christie announced system-wide cross-honoring of all rail, bus and light rail tickets starting Monday, 12:00 a.m. and continuing through Wednesday, 6 a.m. This allows customers holding NJ TRANSIT tickets to use alternate means of transportation to get to their final destination, such as PATH, PATCO and private bus carriers. Due to the duration of the storm and the potential impact to the NJ TRANSIT system, this timeframe could be extended if necessary. 

NJ TRANSIT PREPARATIONS FOR HURRICANE SANDY

Rail and Light Rail Operations 

  • NJ TRANSIT's maintenance forces continue inspecting culverts, drainage pipes and rights-of-way to ensure they are clear of blockages that could exacerbate flooding and disrupt service.  
  • NJ TRANSIT rail and light rail crews and equipment are on standby to respond to downed trees, wires and flooding.

 Bus and Access Link Operations

  • NJ TRANSIT Bus and Access Link maintenance and support staff will be on standby 24/7 to respond where needed.

 Customer Service

  • Customer Service Field Offices will extend their hours of operations if necessary.
  • The Transit Information Office (TIC) - NJ TRANSIT's call center, is also prepared to extend its hours if necessary.

TRAVEL ADVICE

For the latest travel information, customers should listen to broadcast traffic reports, visit njtransit.com or access our Twitter feed at @NJ_TRANSIT prior to starting your trip. In the event of service delays or adjustments, including the suspension of service, NJ TRANSIT will provide the most current service information via the My Transit alert system, which delivers travel advisories for your specific trip to your cell phone, PDA or pager. Service information is also available by calling (973) 275-5555.

  • Listen closely to public address announcements at stations for late-breaking service information.
  • Build additional travel time into your trip to a station, terminal or bus stop.
  • Stairs, floors and platforms can be slippery, so please use caution when walking along wet surfaces or any outdoor surface exposed to the weather. Use extra care when boarding or exiting buses and trains.
  • Report slippery or unsafe conditions to bus operators, train crews or to NJ TRANSIT staff.
  • New Jersey NewsNew Jersey NewsMore>>

  • Undercover police officer shot during drug buy in New Jersey

    Undercover police officer shot during drug buy in New Jersey

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 5:45 PM EDT2014-04-22 21:45:36 GMT
    An undercover narcotics police officer was shot during a shootout with a suspect in a parking lot in Bergen County, N.J., Tuesday afternoon, according to a source. The shooting happened at about 1:45 p.m. at a Walmart and Marshalls shopping center in Garfield. The cop was hot in the hip and ankle, and was taken into surgery at Hackensack University Hospital, the source said.
    An undercover narcotics police officer was shot during a shootout with a suspect in a parking lot in Bergen County, N.J., Tuesday afternoon, according to a source. The shooting happened at about 1:45 p.m. at a Walmart and Marshalls shopping center in Garfield. The cop was hot in the hip and ankle, and was taken into surgery at Hackensack University Hospital, the source said.
  • Hoboken a top place for recent college grads to live, report says

    Hoboken a top place for recent college grads to live, report says

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:46 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:46:32 GMT
    Hoboken's vibrant downtown, access to more than 100,000 job openings and the large amount of rentals available rank the city among the best places for new college grads to live in the country, according to Livability.com. Hoboken ranked No. 6 in Livability.com's recently released list of the "Top 10 Best Cities for New College Grads 2014."
    Hoboken's vibrant downtown, access to more than 100,000 job openings and the large amount of rentals available rank the city among the best places for new college grads to live in the country, according to Livability.com. Hoboken ranked No. 6 in Livability.com's recently released list of the "Top 10 Best Cities for New College Grads 2014."
  • Melissa Gorga: RHONJ season 6 is a 'whole new show'

    Melissa Gorga: RHONJ season 6 is a 'whole new show'

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 12:46 PM EDT2014-04-22 16:46:02 GMT
    Melissa Gorga says the upcoming season 6 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey will be a “whole new show,” according to a report on allthingsrh.com. The Franklin Lakes resident opened up about the new season – which will be sans longtime cast members Jacqueline Laurita and Caroline Manzo – at The Tampa Home And Garden Show, the report said.
    Melissa Gorga says the upcoming season 6 of The Real Housewives of New Jersey will be a “whole new show,” according to a report on allthingsrh.com. The Franklin Lakes resident opened up about the new season – which will be sans longtime cast members Jacqueline Laurita and Caroline Manzo – at The Tampa Home And Garden Show, the report said.
  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

    Wednesday, April 23 2014 6:23 AM EDT2014-04-23 10:23:11 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD." Some did share nice pictures, but others not so much.Some of the first pictures posted showed regular citizens standing with very friendly looking police officers.
  • Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Caesars enters New York casino competition

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:52 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:52:22 GMT
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
    Caesars Entertainment entered the competition to open a casino in upstate New York on Tuesday with a proposal to build a $750 million complex 50 miles north of New York City. The complex would include a casino, a hotel and a meeting space and would be located in Woodbury, in Orange County. The Las Vegas-based Caesars, which operates 52 casinos around the world, has submitted a $1 million casino license application fee to state gambling regulators.
  • Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Hoax 'swatting' call sends dozens of cops to LI home

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:43 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:43:53 GMT
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
    Heavily armed police officers descended on a home in Long Beach, Long Island, Tuesday afternoon thinking they might find a grisly murder scene. Instead they found a terrified woman who had no clue what they were talking about and her teenaged son playing video games. "We received a phone call from a gentleman who stated he had just shot his mother and his brother," Long Beach Police Commissioner Michael Tangney said. "Unfortunately, this is a terrible national problem for law enforcement."
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices