Man may be charged with manslaughter in Holly bar patron's death - New York News

Man may be charged with manslaughter in Holly bar patron's death

Posted: Updated:

By Roop Raj
FOX 2 News Detroit


HOLLY, Mich. -- "I'm very upset.  One of the worst days in my life, and I feel bad for their family," said Luvic Skrela.

The owner of New Martini's Bar and Grill in Holly talked to us about last Friday, a dark day for an otherwise spirited community, a tight knight group that gathers at the bar.  A regular fixture, Ronald Smith of Highland (pictured above) had been a patron for the past seven years or so.

Customers who were inside at the time and the owner told us that Smith was apparently looking out for his twin brother, who got in some type of altercation on the patio.  When he sprang into action in his brother's defense, we're told he was punched in the face.  He fell and hit his head against the cement.

"Somebody sucker punched him in the head, and we lost a good friend and a good customer," said Skrela.

Smith died Monday.  The man accused of the eventual fatal blow has not been identified yet.  The 37-year-old Fenton man could face manslaughter charges.  Our legal analyst Charlie Langton said Holly Police compiled the evidence and are now waiting on Oakland County Prosecutor's Office.

"Prosecutor can do any number of things. That's completely dependent on the evidence.  I really don't want to speculate on what the prosecutor's office will do.  The Michigan Department of Corrections has a detainer on him right (for) parole violations," said Interim Holly Police Chief Michael Story.

Meanwhile, the bar has come together and already raised enough money to fly Smith's father in from Oklahoma so he can attend the funeral.  They also plan to do more of a benefit inside of the bar at a later date to raise money for funeral expenses.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Manhattan restaurant proactive on food allergens

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:48:47 GMT
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
    From the St. Louis spare to a rack of beef, ribs are the specialty for Chef Eddie Montalvo at Blue Smoke Restaurant in the Flat Iron District of Manhattan. While the ribs are smoked for flavor, they are cooked gluten- and nut-free. The restaurant pays special attention to food allergies. Sloan Miller, president of Allergic Girl Resources, says 15 million Americans have a diagnosed food allergy. Eight foods typically set off reactions: peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, wheat, dairy, egg, an...
  • Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Wineries flourish in Brooklyn

    Thursday, April 17 2014 10:34 PM EDT2014-04-18 02:34:04 GMT
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
    Hundreds of oak barrels of wine are all stacked in one room. You might think this is Napa, California. But it's not. It's the Brooklyn Winery, located in what was once an old pickle factory in Williamsburg. Refrigerated grapes are brought in from the North Fork of Long Island and from the Finger Lakes and then aged in barrels. These days urban wineries are becoming more popular, and they're popping up all over the borough.
  • NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    NYC to overhaul Superstorm Sandy rebuilding program

    Thursday, April 17 2014 9:30 PM EDT2014-04-18 01:30:41 GMT
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
    Mayor Bill de Blasio unveiled a sweeping report Thursday that examined New York City's recovery progress from Superstorm Sandy and promised to reform a much-maligned program that was supposed to rebuild wrecked homes. Speaking to about 50 homeowners, officials and community leaders in a storm-battered Staten Island neighborhood, the mayor said the city is aiming to start rebuilding an ambitious 500 homes through its federally funded Build-It-Back program.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices