Carbon Monoxide safety tips - New York News

Carbon Monoxide safety tips

Posted: Updated:
(WJBK) -

 

Fall is here and temperatures are falling. That means turning on the furnace, which is a good time for a reminder of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

DMC Children's Hospital and the Kohl's Cares Foundation have put together these points to keep in mind.

Why is Carbon Monoxide Dangerous?

¡ Odorless

¡ Tasteless

¡ Invisible

¡ Potential for the body to become oxygen-starved resulting in unconsciousness, permanent brain damage, and death

¡ Flame fueled (not electric)

¡ Gas appliances

 

¡ Symptoms similar to the cold or flu

¡ Shortness of breath on mild exertion

¡ Mild headaches

¡ Nausea

¡ Dizziness

¡ Mental confusion

¡ Severe headaches

¡ Nausea

¡ Fainting on mild exertion

¡ On a wall 5 feet above the floor

¡ On the ceiling

¡ On any floor near bedrooms

¡ Never place over a fireplace or flame-producing appliance and keep away from children and pets.

¡ Silence the alarm, exit the house

¡ Ask if anyone is experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

¡ If yes, dial 911 immediately

¡ If no, ventilate the building, identify and remedy the source

What to do after the Carbon Monoxide alarm sounds

Where Should I Place a Carbon Monoxide Detector?

Higher levels

Low levels

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Where does Carbon Monoxide Come From?

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices