Cheerleader's suit against TheDirty.com to go forward - New York News

Cheerleader's suit against TheDirty.com to go forward

Posted: Updated:
PHOENIX -

A former NFL cheerleader has pleaded guilty to having sex with a student at a school where she taught in Kentucky.

The plea deal means she avoids jail time, but her multi-million dollar lawsuit against valley-based gossip web site TheDirty.com is still moving forward.

The attorney for the former Cincinnati Bengals cheerleader Sarah Jones says today's plea has nothing to do with the lawsuit against TheDirty.com.

He claims the website tarnished her reputation years before she did.

Monday, former Bengals cheerleader pleaded guilty to reduced sexual misconduct charges and admitted to having a sexual relationship with a 17-year-old student.

Her attorney says she was happy and relieved.

"It was a great deal, she's walking out of there without a felony because it's diversion, no jail time, no sex registration, text messages stay sealed," attorney Erik Deters told us by phone.

Now that that case is over, Jones' $11 million lawsuit against Scottsdale-based TheDirty.com, a controversial gossip website, will go to trial in January.

The lawsuit accuses the website and its owner, Nik Richie, of defamation following a 2009 posting claiming she had STDs.

"Our game plan has not changed at all. We feel like the libel and slander of the world knowing she had gonorrhea, Chlamydia and had sex with all the Bengals players that that is so bad, she's entitled to compensatory and punitive damages and it has absolutely nothing to do with this."

Nik Richie did not respond to our request for comment but on Twitter acknowledged the lawsuit saying, "Sarah Jones just filed with the Judge that she is moving forward with her 11 million dollar lawsuit against me for impugning her character."

Jones' attorney admits the former cheerleader's reputation is damaged now, but says it wasn't prior to TheDirty.com posting 3 years ago.

"We're not going to overplay our cards. We're going to walk in the courtroom and say ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is outrageous what happened to her and the fact this happened 2 years after irrelevant," said Deters. "I still am very confident of winning it big."

Jones' attorney says the student the former cheerleader admitted to having a relationship with is now 18. He confirmed the two walked out of court, holding hands.

They're set to appear on some network talk shows later this month.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Rapper Joe Budden arrested

    Rapper Joe Budden arrested

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-08-27 17:52:27 GMT

    Rapper Joe Budden was arrested by the NYPD on Wednesday in connection with the robbery of his ex-girlfriend's cell phone earlier this month. Police had been looking for the New Jersey resident since Aug. 18 after a heated argument with the woman inside his car in Washington Heights. After he was arrested on Wednesday, Budden apparently Tweeted several times from jail.

    Rapper Joe Budden was arrested by the NYPD on Wednesday in connection with the robbery of his ex-girlfriend's cell phone earlier this month. Police had been looking for the New Jersey resident since Aug. 18 after a heated argument with the woman inside his car in Washington Heights. After he was arrested on Wednesday, Budden apparently Tweeted several times from jail.

  • Soldier who killed herself at Va. Army base was from Yonkers

    Soldier who killed herself at Va. Army base was from Yonkers

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 1:28 PM EDT2014-08-27 17:28:56 GMT

    The Army has identified the soldier who barricaded herself in a building at a Virginia base and then fatally shot herself in the head.  Fort Lee officials on Wednesday say it was 33-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Paula M. Walker of Yonkers

    The Army has identified the soldier who barricaded herself in a building at a Virginia base and then fatally shot herself in the head.  Fort Lee officials on Wednesday say it was 33-year-old Sgt. 1st Class Paula M. Walker of Yonkers

  • Cuomo orders investigation into Time Warner outage

    Cuomo orders investigation into Time Warner outage

    Wednesday, August 27 2014 1:15 PM EDT2014-08-27 17:15:06 GMT
    Time Warner Cable suffered a nationwide outage primarily impacting its Internet service on Wednesday morning. More than 11 million customers were affected.  Several hours later, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered an investigation into the outage. "I have directed the New York State Department of Public Service to investigate this outage as part of its review of Comcast's proposed merger with Time Warner," said Cuomo.
    Time Warner Cable suffered a nationwide outage primarily impacting its Internet service on Wednesday morning. More than 11 million customers were affected.  Several hours later, NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo ordered an investigation into the outage. "I have directed the New York State Department of Public Service to investigate this outage as part of its review of Comcast's proposed merger with Time Warner," said Cuomo.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices