Will Godbee resign? Bing to hold Monday news conference - New York News

Will Godbee resign? Bing to hold Monday news conference

UPDATE: Detroit Mayor Dave Bing is expected to speak at 10am.

Will Detroit Police Chief Ralph Godbee resign admid his latest sex scandal? Detroit Mayor Dave Bing is expected to hold a news conference Monday to address the situation. Godbee is currently on a 30-day paid suspension. Stay with Fox 2 and myfoxdetroit.com for continuing coverage of this developing story.

By Charlie LeDuff, FOX 2 News

I got a call from Lieutenant Monique Patterson, the cop caught in the love triangle between former chief Warren Evans and Ralph Godbee two years ago.  She said she had some text messages showing that she had sex with Godbee in exchange for a promotion.

One text message from Godbee to Patterson said, "I want you, I think you, I breathe you, I taste you, I smell you, need I go on?"

Another text message from Godbee to Patterson read, "I need a face to face so you can see that I say what I say because I'm in LOVE WITH YOU!"

Yet another text message from Godbee to Patterson said, "I can meet you by 8'ish.  Can you have everything set up where you can just let me know the room #?"

A text message from Patterson to Godbee read, "I hate that all we have discussed (transfer, etc.) nothing has occurred.  Nothing seems hopeful to me at this point.  Nothing."

Then a text message from Godbee to Patterson said, "You will learn over time that my word is my bond!"

This is clearly more than sex between consenting adults.  It's an abuse of power.  The police department has been turned into a brothel.  City hall knew said the lawyer who took the messages to Deputy Mayor Saul Green.

"Saul asked that he be allowed to keep the text messages and that he said he would get back to us, and either the next day or a couple days later, he did.  I don't know what he did with them, but there was no doubt in my mind that he was going to run these up the totem pole, and I had the strong impression when we got back together that he had vetted this with the mayor and that his response was that they weren't interested in doing anything," said attorney Mark Zausmer.

I had a lot of questions for the lieutenant, so we sat down Friday.  Here are her own words:

"Did you allegedly sleep with him or did sleep with him?" I asked Patterson.

"I slept with Ralph," she answered.

"How do we know?" I questioned.

"October 14, 2009, yeah, I kept that condom," she said.

"For what reason?" I asked.

"So he, you know, wouldn't think that I'm just a stalker and I'm just a lying (expletive), like, oh no, I don't think so," she responded.

"Ralph Godbee was assistant chief, traded sex for promotions, yes or no?" I asked.

"Yes.  I was the commanding officer of Sex Crimes and after we became involved, he moved me to his staff and I worked right alongside with him in his office," she said.

"That was the deal you made?" I questioned.

"Yes," she answered.

"Our relationship began in August and by October the things that he had promised had not come to pass, so he noticed my behavior toward him had changed where I had backed up.  That's even referenced in a text message, and that's when afterwards there were other texts saying I spoke to this person, I spoke to that person, I'm going to get you down here and then once I got down there, well, we're going to celebrate," she added.  "As he referenced, I'd like to see your career advance, so I went along with the program."

"Are you a tramp?" I asked.

"People can call me whatever.  It's fine, you know.  If my behavior two years ago earned me that title then, then okay.  That was in 2009.  It's a new day.  I have a new life, and the department needs a new chief."

As we all know, Bing elevated Godbee to chief.  Anyhow, here we are again.  Detroit humiliated.  The mayor now with his own possible scandal.  And why did Patterson step forward?  Because she said Officer Angelica Robinson doesn't deserve the public abuse.

"I'm coming out with this because I don't want, firstly, for Angelica to fall on a sword like she's making this up.  This didn't have to happen had someone taken these text messages serious.  Maybe they thought he would've learned from this incident and gave him the benefit of a doubt moving forward.  So much for that."

Patterson is still on the police force and is the commanding officer of the Domestic Violence Unit.  There were no lawsuits.  She lost nothing.  They simply moved her laterally.

Suffolk County jail warden is highest-paid muni worker in NY

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:48 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:48:14 GMT
    New York State NewsNew York State News
    The Empire Center for Public Policy reports 1,803 local government employees outside of New York City have been paid more than Gov. Andrew Cuomo's $179,000 salary in the past year. The report from the fiscally conservative group for the year ending March 31 shows 47 of the 50 highest-paid municipal employees working for police departments or sheriff's offices and each taking home more than $250,000.

Manhattan nursery school's sanitizing machine keeps air clean

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:47 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:47:17 GMT
    All of us feel the same way about "cooties": Eww. At the Goddard School on the Upper West Side, a high-tech machine is keeping "cooties" out of the classroom. "This is the latest and then most effective sanitization method available today," says Bill Swan, the owner of the Goddard School. He purchased the ZONO Sanitech for his school about six months ago. The machine is the size of a double refrigerator and uses oxygen to kill viruses and bacteria.

NYC's pickup basketball games moving indoors

Thursday, July 24 2014 5:54 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:54:18 GMT
    Believe it or not this, some say New York's outdoor basketball courts are a dying entity. Even Rucker Park in Harlem -- where Dr. J and countless others honed their skills -- used to be standing room only all times of the day. Now there's plenty of room to stand on most days.Basketball programs like one at Chelsea Piers are gaining popularity. That means the place to hoop it up for many appears to be indoors.

Renisha McBride's family leaves courtroom as photos are shown

Thursday, July 24 2014 6:29 PM EDT2014-07-24 22:29:16 GMT
    On day two of the trial for Renisha McBride's shooting death, the final hours of her life and the moments after her death were detailed in court. Thursday the jury heard what Ted Wafer, her accused killer, told police about the shooting that night.

Romulus teen dies after crashing car during police chase

Thursday, July 24 2014 5:43 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:43:30 GMT
    An 18-year-old man is dead after a police chase ended in a crash. The chase ended on Beverly Street in Romulus.

Science lover looking for a place to call home

Thursday, July 24 2014 5:34 PM EDT2014-07-24 21:34:22 GMT
    Right now, about 300 children in Michigan are waiting to be adopted. Many of them are teens.One of the is Marvin, whose love for science goes to infinity and beyond. He's been in foster care for a long time but he still dreams of finding a place to call home.