Bangladesh vows to protect Buddhists after attacks - New York News

Bangladesh vows to protect Buddhists after attacks

Posted: Updated:

By JULHAS ALAM and TOFAYEL AHMED

MERUNGLUA, Bangladesh (AP) — Hundreds of Buddhists who fled their southern Bangladesh villages in the wake of attacks by Muslims started returning home Monday amid heightened security and more than 160 arrests.

The Buddhists moved to safety after an overnight weekend attack in which thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims burned at least 10 Buddhist temples and 40 homes in anger over a Facebook photo of a burned Quran.

Army soldiers, paramilitary border guards and police were deployed, and the government has banned all public gatherings in the troubled areas near the southern border with Myanmar, said Lt. Col. Jaed Hossain, a military commander who was helping to install tents for displaced Buddhists.

"They are coming back. We are giving them protection," Hossain said at Merunglua village in the coastal district of Cox's Bazar on Monday.

Home Minister Mohiuddin Khan Alamgir told reporters in Dhaka on Monday that security officials detained 166 people in Cox's Bazar and neighboring Chittagong district in connection with the attacks.

Hossain said about 1,000 Buddhist families fled their homes after the attacks were launched late Saturday. As the unrest continued through early Sunday, many Buddhist-owned homes and shops were looted. Nojibul Islam, a Cox's Bazar police chief, said at least 20 people were injured.

Many in the impoverished neighborhood of Merunglua lost everything.

"I was in my shop. They suddenly came and set my shop on fire," grocery owner Prodip Barua told The Associated Press. "I started running and took my two children and wife from my home and fled the area."

He knew his shop had been burned to ashes, but when he returned Monday he was shocked to see that his home was also destroyed.

"How will I survive now? How will I send my children to schools?" he sobbed. "I have lost everything."

The government has pledged to rebuild the victims' homes.

Home Minister Alamgir said after visiting the area that the affected people would get security and support from the government.

The attacks began after a photo of a burned copy of the Muslim holy book was posted on Facebook. The rioters blamed the photo on a 25-year-old local Buddhist, though it was not immediately clear if he actually posted the photo.

Only about 300,000 Bangladeshis, or about 0.2 percent of the country's 150 million people, are Facebook users.

Bangladesh's English-language Daily Star newspaper quoted the man blamed for the photos as saying that someone else mistakenly tagged it on his Facebook profile. The newspaper reported that soon after the violence started, the man's Facebook account was closed and police escorted him and his mother to safety.

Joinul Bari, chief government administrator in Cox's Bazar, said authorities detained the man's parents and were investigating.

Buddhists make up less than 1 percent of Muslim-majority Bangladesh, but followers of the two religions usually coexist peacefully. Some of the Buddhist families displaced by the attacks took shelter at the homes of Muslim neighbors, and on Monday, many Muslim families offered food to the victims.

The Bangladeshi violence follows protests that erupted in Muslim countries over the past month after a low-budget film produced by a U.S. citizen denigrated the Prophet Muhammad by portraying Islam's holiest figure as a fraud, womanizer and child molester.

Some two dozen demonstrators have been killed in protests that attacked symbols of U.S. and the West, including diplomatic compounds.

___

Julhas Alam contributed to the report from Dhaka.

 

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • NJ requires students to get CPR lessons

    NJ requires students to get CPR lessons

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:52 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:52:46 GMT
    New Jersey high school students will be required to have CPR training starting this year. Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno signed a law Wednesday requiring the lesson for all public and charter school students in ninth through 12th grades. Guadagno is serving as acting governor with Gov. Chris Christie out of the state. It takes effect in the coming school year.
    New Jersey high school students will be required to have CPR training starting this year. Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno signed a law Wednesday requiring the lesson for all public and charter school students in ninth through 12th grades. Guadagno is serving as acting governor with Gov. Chris Christie out of the state. It takes effect in the coming school year.

  • NYC board: clerk traded information for crack

    NYC board: clerk traded information for crack

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 1:31 PM EDT2014-08-20 17:31:59 GMT
    New York City NewsNew York City News
    A former clerk in the Staten Island District Attorney's office was fined $10,000 for offering confidential investigative information for crack. The city's Conflict of Interest Board said Rene Collins exchanged text messages with drug dealer Davon Bishop, offering to tip him off about investigations and upcoming arrests in exchange for two units of crack for her husband.
    A former clerk in the Staten Island District Attorney's office was fined $10,000 for offering confidential investigative information for crack. The city's Conflict of Interest Board said Rene Collins exchanged text messages with drug dealer Davon Bishop, offering to tip him off about investigations and upcoming arrests in exchange for two units of crack for her husband.
  • Prayer service for Atlantic City casinos

    Prayer service for Atlantic City casinos

    Wednesday, August 20 2014 12:28 PM EDT2014-08-20 16:28:08 GMT
    Hundreds of workers who will lose their jobs at three Atlantic City casinos scheduled to close in the next few weeks are looking for some divine intervention. Employees of Revel, the Showboat and Trump Plaza will hold a rally Wednesday night followed by a prayer service at a nearby church.
    Hundreds of workers who will lose their jobs at three Atlantic City casinos scheduled to close in the next few weeks are looking for some divine intervention. Employees of Revel, the Showboat and Trump Plaza will hold a rally Wednesday night followed by a prayer service at a nearby church.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices