Chicago's Most Wanted: Tylenol Terrorist - New York News

Chicago's Most Wanted: Tylenol Terrorist

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (FOX 32 News) -

It is a 30 year old mystery that began with the death of a 12 year old girl. That was the first of seven deaths that were part of the infamous Tylenol poisonings case.

This version of Chicago's Most Wanted looks back at the case, which remains unsolved.

No one has ever been charged with the murders of those seven people from the Chicago suburbs who died after taking the Tylenol capsules which had been laced with cyanide. In 2007 the FBI formed a special task force to reexamine what had become a dormant case. It's now working with several northwest suburban police departments to try and solve the murders.

The deaths were reported in several suburbs over one weekend back in 1982. It was determined that whoever was responsible bought Tylenol from different retailers, then replaced some of the capsules with ones laced with cyanide and then returned the containers to the shelves where they were bought by unsuspecting customers. The case led to all the anti-tampering packaging that we see today.

During the early part of the investigation a man by the name of James William Lewis sent a letter to Johnson and Johnson demanding $1 millions to stop the Tylenol murders. He and his wife were living in New York at the time and he could not be linked to the murders. But he was convicted of extortion and served 13 years in prison. He was released on parole in 1995.

In late January of 2009 the FBI again focused on Lewis, searching his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Reports at the time indicated that Lewis and his wife submitted DNA and fingerprint samples.

But as of this point, the investigation remains open.

Now the FBI hopes as time has gone by, perhaps someone who knew something might be ready and willing to come forward with information about the case and help solve the case and give the families of those seven victims some closure.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Parts of Central Park vandalized

    Parts of Central Park vandalized

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:32 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:32:26 GMT
    The NYPD says several structures in Central Park were damaged by vandals over the weekend. A gazebo at Wagner Cove near park lake was pushed off its foundation. A handrail at the Bow Bridge boating landing was broken and a bench was thrown in the water nearby. Vandals also threw a rock through the window of a kiosk near West 72nd St. Among other damage, irrigation hoses were torn up at Strawberry Fields and trash cans were toppled near Central Park West.
    The NYPD says several structures in Central Park were damaged by vandals over the weekend. A gazebo at Wagner Cove near park lake was pushed off its foundation. A handrail at the Bow Bridge boating landing was broken and a bench was thrown in the water nearby. Vandals also threw a rock through the window of a kiosk near West 72nd St. Among other damage, irrigation hoses were torn up at Strawberry Fields and trash cans were toppled near Central Park West.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:25 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:25:33 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
  • Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Toddler safe after stroller falls onto tracks

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 7:18 AM EDT2014-07-22 11:18:12 GMT
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
    Authorities say a 2-year-old girl is safe after the stroller she was in rolled off a Queens subway platform onto the tracks. Fire Department officials say it happened at the Jamaica Center-Parsons Boulevard stop in Jamaica at 11:26 a.m. Monday. Witnesses say the mother had turned away briefly to put something in the trash when the strolled fell onto the empty tracks.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices