Another Hoffa tip has police ready to dig out Roseville driveway - New York News

Another Hoffa tip has police ready to dig out a driveway in Roseville

Posted: Updated:
Jimmy Hoffa (Credit: WJBK) Jimmy Hoffa (Credit: WJBK)
ROSEVILLE, Mich. (WJBK) -

A new tip in the decades long search for Jimmy Hoffa has led investigators to a small home in Macomb County. Crews will soon begin digging in the area of 12 Mile and Gratiot in Roseville.  Police are focusing their attention on the back of a driveway.

"A body may have been interred in the area... approximately 35 years ago," said Roseville Police Chief James Berlin.

An unidentified man who is said to be dying of cancer came forward and claimed he saw a body put into the ground behind a Roseville house on Florida Street around the same time Teamsters boss Hoffa disappeared.

Acting on the tip police deemed credible, the DEQ used sonar equipment to scan the backyard and discovered an anomaly. Police plan to dig there Friday and hope a soil sample will reveal if someone's remains are buried underground.

Berlin believes something is there, but doubts it is the body of Hoffa because he said the timeline of the tipster doesn't quite match up.

"We're not saying this is Jimmy Hoffa. We're just saying there's possibly a body interred in this area. It's around the same... timeframe that Mr. Hoffa disappeared, but the timeframe is off, so we do not believe it's Jimmy Hoffa."

Off camera, a neighbor told Fox 2 that same house was known for running numbers, a gambling operation back then.

Hoffa disappeared from a Bloomfield Township restaurant in July of 1975. Since then, thousands of tips have come into the FBI prompting several searches. The most recent was a Milford Township farm back in 2006 and behind a house in Detroit in 2009, but the feds never found any sign of Hoffa.

We did contact the FBI. They said they are not commenting at this time.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Suspect arrested in 1990s cold-case murders on Long Island

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 5:00 PM EDT2014-07-22 21:00:17 GMT
    SCPD photoSCPD photo
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
    Authorities on Long Island have arrested a suspect in two cold case murders dating to the 1990s. John Bittrolff, a married father of two, is the lead suspect in the deaths of two prostitutes whose bodies were found within months of each other in late 1993 and early 1994, authorities said. Police arrested the 48-year-old, who was arraigned at the district court in Central Islip.
  • Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Real estate heir charged for urinating on candy

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:51 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:51:49 GMT
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
    A New York City real estate heir who admitted killing his neighbor a decade ago in Texas is facing a new charge in Houston that accuses him of urinating on candy at a drug store. Authorities say 71-year-old Robert Durst was arrested Sunday after arguing with store employees. They say he was charged with criminal mischief after urinating on at least $100 worth of candy.
  • Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Search for masked robbers in Caesars heist

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:28 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:28:51 GMT
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
    The hunt is on in southern New Jersey for two suspects who made off with more than $180K from Caesars Atlantic City casino. The brazen robbers reportedly stole the cash from two plastic boxes on the casino floor. The robbery occurred on Monday at about 6 a.m. The masked robbers took off in a vehicle. The State Police Casino Gaming Bureau is handling the investigation.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices