Passing driver rescues woman from fire in Nowthen, Minn. - New York News

Passing driver rescues woman from fire in Nowthen, Minn.

Posted: Updated:
NOWTHEN, Minn. (KMSP) -

Mike Coolidge was driving down County Road 5 in Nowthen, Minn., just before 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning when he saw smoke drifting across the street. As he drove closer, he could see a glow in the living room of a house, and realized the home was on fire.

Coolidge stopped, backed up, and ran to the door of the burning home. He smashed a window to get inside and he found Diane Evans unconscious near the door.

Other passersby stopped as Coolidge pulled Evans out of the house, yelling for witnesses to call 911 and the fire department.

Evans was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where she is in critical condition and undergoing treatment for burns and smoke inhalation. A friend who visited her at the hospital said she suffering from burns on her arms and face and is being heavily sedated.

Coolidge was evaluated at Mercy Hospital after the rescue, and he spoke with FOX 9 News about why he broke his morning routine and risked his life for a stranger.

"She probably would have done the same thing for me," he said.

Looking back, Coolidge said he knew something wasn't right because of the glow inside the home.

"I wasn't sure if it was the living room or the kitchen, but in one of the rooms, there was a pretty good glow going on," he recalled.

He said he pounded on the windows after pulling up to the home, hoping to wake up anyone who was inside before breaking the glass after he saw Evans' feet.

"It happened so fast. I tried the window, I opened the door -- the door wouldn't open. Something was blocking the door to where I couldn't get it all the way open, but I could see her feet so I had to give it a good shoulder," Coolidge said.

Though Evans was unconscious when he pulled her from the burning home, he said she awoke as rescue crews arrived.

"I thought I was going to have some pretty bad dreams tonight when I went to sleep, but now at least I know that she's alive," he said. "I'll sleep pretty good tonight."

Coolidge also suffered smoke inhalation during the rescue, but he said he's quickly recovering.

Officials say the fire started in the living room on the first floor; however, they don't yet know what caused it.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Schumer proposes ban on 10 flame retardants

    Sunday, September 14 2014 10:42 PM EDT2014-09-15 02:42:47 GMT
    Gov. Andrew CuomoGov. Andrew Cuomo
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
    Senator Charles Schumer says a Duke University study has found flame retardants in upholstered furniture and children's products like toys, pajamas and pillows to be highly toxic. The chemicals have also been linked to developmental delays and rare cancers in firefighters as well as cancers and hormone disruption in children.
  • Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Electricity goes out at Six Flags, guests left stranded

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:50:36 GMT
    Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)Six Flags Great Adventure 45th anniversary logo. (AP photo)
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
    It wasn't the amusement park thrill they were expecting. Some people at Great Adventure in New Jersey were left stranded on rides after a power outage.
  • Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Stranded jet skiers rescued off Staten Island

    Sunday, September 14 2014 6:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 22:43:09 GMT
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
    Two jet skiers stranded since Saturday night were rescued from small islands off of Staten Island Sunday morning, police sources said. The FDNY Marine division discovered the first jet skier on the West Bank Lighthouse island while patrolling the area after 8 a.m. Sunday, and took him to Staten Island University Hospital North. His friend, a man in his 40s, was also saved.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices