Race issue has come full circle in Kilpatrick jury selection - New York News

Race issue has come full circle in Kilpatrick jury selection

Posted: Updated:
Kwame Kilpatrick outside federal court in Detroit  (Credit: myFOXDetroit.com) Kwame Kilpatrick outside federal court in Detroit (Credit: myFOXDetroit.com)
DETROIT (myFOXDetroit.com) -

The issue of race has come full circle as jury selection continues in the Kwame Kilpatrick federal corruption trial. So far, 55 people have made it to the jury pool.

For eight days, defense attorneys have grilled potential jurors who are white on how their views on race might affect the case.

Now prosecutors are asking potential jurors who are black if they would acquit Kilpatrick even if the evidence points to a guilty verdict.

"I suppose they think that those are the people who might have that sentiment," said John Minock, an attorney for Victor Mercado.

Prosecutors won't discuss their strategy, but it is plain enough to Kilpatrick attorney Jim Thomas.

"What they're trying to protect against is jury nullification."

Defense attorneys haven't been shy about objecting to many things so far, but they say it is fair game.

"They don't tell me how to try my case, and I don't tell them how to try their case, and If I think they're doing something improper, I'll typically get up and say something," said Bernard Kilpatrick attorney John Shea.

Minock dismissed the notion that a juror would rely on anything but the facts.

"I think that's ridiculous. I think that the black populace in this area is more sophisticated than that."

Prosecutors have also asked some white jurors the same questions. It is not just a matter of race. It is a matter of what they say both in questionnaires given to jurors before they came to court and their answers to questions from the jury box. If they say things that make the prosecutors believe that they may never be able to reach a guilty verdict no matter the evidence, they are going to get a good grilling.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Report: Joan Rivers on slow road to recovery

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 1:08 PM EDT2014-09-02 17:08:01 GMT

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers.  Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

    Hollywood icon Joan Rivers, 81, is reportedly on a slow road to recovery after she went into cardiac arrest at a New York City doctor's office. Rivers remains in serious condition at The Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan, according to her daughter, Melissa Rivers. Doctors were expected to slowly remove Rivers from a medically-induced coma on Tuesday to asses her brain functionality.

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 12:33 PM EDT2014-09-02 16:33:28 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    $2.4B Revel casino shuts down after just 2 years

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-09-02 14:47:40 GMT
    Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)Revel in Atlantic City, New Jersey. (Photo courtesy Revel Entertainment)
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market.
    Revel Casino Hotel closed its doors Tuesday morning, a little more than two years after opening with high hopes of turning around Atlantic City's struggling casino market. The 5:25 a.m. casino shutdown followed the closure of its hotel on Monday. By mid-September, four of Atlantic City's 12 casinos will have closed, but none will be a costlier failure than Revel.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices