San Diego Resident And Former Navy SEAL Among Killed In Libya - New York News

San Diego Resident And Former Navy SEAL Among Killed In Libya

Posted: Updated:
Encinitas, CA -

(CNS) Friends and family Thursday mourned an ex-Navy SEAL from Encinitas who was among one of four Americans killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

Glen Doherty, 42, was killed Tuesday along with Ambassador Chris Stevens and two other Americans when an armed force attacked the consulate compound in Benghazi, according to the victim's friends. The Boston-born Doherty settled in Encinitas about four years ago after spending seven years as a SEAL.

Doherty's sister, Katie Quigley, told the Boston Herald that her brother was working for a private security firm contracted by the government to provide security at the consulate, and that he flew to Libya on Sept. 5.

Friends said he also worked locally as a trainer at the CrossFIT/SEALFIT Gym in Encinitas.

The anti-American unrest that broke out this week in Libya, Egypt, Yemen and other Muslim countries is tied to a film that was made in Southern California and virtually unheard of until a segment of it appeared on YouTube.

"The Innocence of Muslims," regarded by those who have seen it as extremely amateurish, mocks the Prophet Muhammad, depicting him as a homosexual who endorses extramarital sex and pedophilia.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices