Sources: Detroit student's abduction, sexual assault not random - New York News

Sources: Detroit student's abduction, sexual assault not random

Posted: Updated:
Wayne Elementary School in Detroit  (Credit: myFOXDetroit.com) Wayne Elementary School in Detroit (Credit: myFOXDetroit.com)
DETROIT (myFOXDetroit.com) -

A mother says her 13-year-old son, who just transferred to Wayne Elementary last week, was pulled from the front door of the Detroit school, forced into a green SUV, dragged to the backyard of a house and raped.

"When he peaked his head out even more, they grabbed him by his shirt," the mother explained.  "Took him back there, tied his hands up with duct tape."

"They made my son get on his knees and proceeded to do horrible things," she continued.

A neighbor called police after spotting the fifth-grader walking down the street with no pants or shoes and his hands bound with duct tape behind his back.  He was allegedly attacked right across the street from the school.  Fox 2's Taryn Asher found the his shoes before police.

"He said, 'Mom, I don't know how I got away.'  He was trying to fight them.  He ended up with bruises and scratches and stuff," his mother said.

24 hours later, new details are emerging in the case.  Sources say the boy was snatched from the school and sexually assaulted, but it wasn't a random attack.  It was gang related, possibly retaliation connected to a gang member's brother.

Police are searching for the suspects.

"If they would've had any supervision at this school, a security guard, anything, he wouldn't have been able to go to that front door and open it for anybody," his mother remarked.

We've learned the cameras inside the school were working, but one just outside the front door was not and hadn't been for a very long time.  However, some new cameras have just been installed.

"This is not a school that has a full-time security guard, which is the case with most of our elementary schools.  It simply is not necessary," said Steve Wasko, a spokesperson for the district.

He added they are not taking this lightly, claiming parents have been notified and the principal met with many Thursday morning trying to assure them Wayne Elementary is the safest school in the district.

"This is a school that has been safe and that has strict rules about entry and exit and will continue to be safe," Wasko explained.

However, concerned parents weren't taking any chances.  They were standing guard at the school Thursday, some volunteering to be security.

"It's important because of the children.  I mean, if we can't protect our own children, my son is a student here, who else is going to do it?" said Michelle Sykes.

"My son got tortured.  Anything could've happened, and that's why I'm saying for the parents of the children that go to this school over here please be careful with your kids," the alleged victim's mother said.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Tyga calls for Empire State Building to go gold

    Tyga calls for Empire State Building to go gold

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 10:37 PM EDT2014-08-20 02:37:52 GMT
    The push to go gold for pediatric cancer has spread to the hip hop world. Popular rapper Tyga is joining those calling for the Empire State Building to light up for a good cause.
    The push to go gold for pediatric cancer has spread to the hip hop world. Popular rapper Tyga is joining those calling for the Empire State Building to light up for a good cause.
  • Christie talks casinos, Springsteen at town hall

    Christie talks casinos, Springsteen at town hall

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:49 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:49:34 GMT
    Gov. Chris Christie of New JerseyGov. Chris Christie of New Jersey
    Gov. Chris Christie talked Atlantic City casinos and defended his use of Bruce Springsteen music in the latest installment of his summer "No Pain, No Gain" town hall series on Tuesday. Many previous events have featured protests by retirees and labor groups as well as Atlantic City casino workers urging Christie to do more to save their jobs following a series of announced closures.
    Gov. Chris Christie talked Atlantic City casinos and defended his use of Bruce Springsteen music in the latest installment of his summer "No Pain, No Gain" town hall series on Tuesday. Many previous events have featured protests by retirees and labor groups as well as Atlantic City casino workers urging Christie to do more to save their jobs following a series of announced closures.
  • Foley wins Connecticut Independent Party backing

    Foley wins Connecticut Independent Party backing

    Tuesday, August 19 2014 9:35 PM EDT2014-08-20 01:35:03 GMT
    Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley has won the endorsement of the Independent Party of Connecticut, securing a second spot on the November ballot. Foley's campaign confirmed the Greenwich businessman won the third party's endorsement at Tuesday night's party caucus.
    Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Foley has won the endorsement of the Independent Party of Connecticut, securing a second spot on the November ballot. Foley's campaign confirmed the Greenwich businessman won the third party's endorsement at Tuesday night's party caucus.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices