A student at a public school on Staten Island was hit by toxic chemicals that leaked from a light fixture last week.
Contractors entering P.S. 41 on Tuesday night didn't want to talk to Fox 5 about the work they'd be doing inside.
But Fox 5 confirmed a building-wide lighting replacement project will be underway at the Staten Island School after a student was exposed the toxic chemical polychlorinated biphenyl last week.
Last Thursday, a teacher noticed the chemical oozing from a light fixture. The classroom was evacuated, but not before the PCB dripped onto one student's desk and clothes.
The school notified parents.
Extended exposure to PCBs can cause cancer. The man-made chemicals were used in the building construction, but were outlawed in the late 1970s.
"Last week, parents were notified of a PCB ballast leak and confirmed that a classroom fixture will be replaced over the weekend," a Department of Education spokesperson said in a statement. "We ensured that the proper safety and inspection protocols were followed so that the classroom could reopen today."