Tip jars now take plastic - New York News

Tip jars now take plastic

Posted: Updated:
MYFOXNY.COM -

A New York man has developed a tip jar for the credit card generation.  It's called DipJar.

Ryder Kessler says he came up with the idea while he was in a busy coffee shop and employees lamented that tips were down as more people started making their purchases on credit and debit cards.

Kessler, who has worked for years in the tech industry, formed the company with his brother, Judd.

The DipJar sits on the countertop and customers simply swipe their card.  The machine takes a predetermined amount for a tip.  DipJar says most locations choose $1.  DipJar takes a service fee (of up to 20%) and the balance is disbursed on a regular schedule to employees.

The company has contracted two DipJars in New York. They are at two Oren's Daily Roast locations in Manhattan.  The machines are free to the retailers since the company makes its money off of transaction fees.

DipJar says it uses encryption to transmit credit card information securely to its servers.  It says its internal checks would combat fraud such as suspicious repeated dipping on the same card.

The company says it is looking to continue to develop the jars to accept other forms of tipping, like barcodes from mobile phones.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    Family of teen shot and killed by police sues NYC

    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
    The family of a 16-year-old Brooklyn boy whose fatal shooting by police last year sparked days of protests has filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit against New York City.
  • Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Woman wanted for baby snatch attempt in custody

    Friday, April 18 2014 9:57 PM EDT2014-04-19 01:57:17 GMT
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
    Police have taken into custody the woman believed to have tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. Tara Anne McDonald, 46, was being evaluated at a hospital Friday night. The attempted kidnapping occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 3:45 p.m. on Thursday, police said.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices