A Long Island Rail Road worker was electrocuted while on the job on Monday, the MTA said.
Ronald Sampson, 51, of Lake Ronkonkoma, came into contact with the electrified third rail at the near the Queens Village station in Queens, the MTA said.
He was doing track maintenance work when he was shocked at about 11 a.m.
The foreman tried to help him and his coworkers performed CPR on Sampson at the scene until medics arrived.
"The entire LIRR is deeply shaken by this tragic loss," said LIRR President Helena E. Williams. "Ron was a dedicated employee and family man. It's a very sad day at the railroad today."
Sampson joined the LIRR in June 2006.
The MTA is investigating how the fatal accident happened.