Yellow lab, owner on the mend after being shot in Detroit - New York News

Yellow lab, owner on the mend after being shot on Detroit's west side

Niko was shot on Detroit's west side  (Credit: WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com) Niko was shot on Detroit's west side (Credit: WJBK | myFOXDetroit.com)
DETROIT (WJBK) -

"I have some amazing guardian angels looking over me," said Gail King.

Late Saturday night in the 6000 block of Stahelin on Detroit's west side, "all I heard was a big cannon sound or a firecracker sound," King explained.  "Then I noticed that my dog made a yelp and he was on his back and I think he went into seizure because his paws were flopping."

King's six-year-old yellow lab Niko had been shot.

"I jumped up and I went to the side and I looked out, and I [saw] a man pointing a gun at me."

"She's worried about her dog.  I'm like check yourself.  Make sure you [haven't been] shot, and then she found out she was shot," said Martin Osemlak.

In the chest, but she didn't even realize it.  King was more concerned about her companion refusing to go in the ambulance until her neighbor promised to take care of Niko.

"We eventually got the dog to the animal hospital," Osemlak said.

"His whole upper jaw and part of his lower jaw were pretty much destroyed on the left side of his face," said Dr. Jeffrey Dizik.

Niko spent six hours in surgery and got close to 100 stitches.  He is on lots of pain medication, but is doing much better now after the home invasion that could've killed him and his best friend.

"I think Niko saved my life because if he wouldn't have ran to the front door ... the person would've came in," said King.  "I don't know if he would've just robbed me, if he would've shot me, did both.  I think my dog saved my life."

Thousands of dollars in vet bills is something she can't afford, but now she does not have to worry about that.

"The donations have been non-stop of people wanting to help Niko, and if there's money left over, if the owner needs some help with her medical bills, we'll use some of the money there, and then we'll also try and keep some set aside in case he needs some future surgery down the road," Dizik said.

"I am so grateful for everybody.  I can't thank everybody enough," said King.

She will need plastic surgery to repair the damage left behind from her gunshot wound.  Meanwhile, that shooter is still out there.  Detroit police officers, who King said responded quickly, are investigating.

If you would like to make a donation, you can visit http://saveniko.chipin.com/niko or call (313) 389-1700.

Suspect, rookie officer both wounded in gunfire

Sunday, August 31 2014 10:11 PM EDT2014-09-01 02:11:38 GMT
    Authorities say an early morning gunfire exchange on a Brooklyn street has left the suspect hospitalized and a police officer with a graze wound.

New MTA bus routes take effect

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:51 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:51:36 GMT
    MTAMTA
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.
    The MTA has new bus routes throughout the 5 boroughs.

3 hurt in lightning strike as storms batter NYC area

Sunday, August 31 2014 9:47 PM EDT2014-09-01 01:47:41 GMT
    Heavy thunderstorms swept through the tri-state on Sunday causing flash floods and lightning strikes that injured 3 people. The three men were struck at Orchard Beach in the Bronx Sunday afternoon and were being treated at a local hospital. Meanwhile, various Labor Day weekend celebrations were interrupted, delayed and even canceled as the U.S. Open tennis tournament had to be postponed and the Electric Zoo musical festival on Randall's Island had to be prematurely shut down.

All you need to know: Arts, Beats and Eats 2014

Monday, September 1 2014 7:28 AM EDT2014-09-01 11:28:22 GMT
    Celebrating its 17th year and returning to the bustling streets of Royal Oak from Aug. 29 - Sept. 1, Ford Arts, Beats Eats presented by FirstMerit Bank will entertain thousands of visitors from across the region with its outstanding music line-up, stellar arts programming, mouthwatering selection of food, and a number of new attractions this Labor Day weekend.

VP Joe Biden speaking in Detroit on Labor Day

Monday, September 1 2014 7:19 AM EDT2014-09-01 11:19:13 GMT
    Vice President Joe Biden is scheduled to be in Detroit on Labor Day for the second time in three years.

Two teens shot and killed on Detroit's west side

Monday, September 1 2014 12:20 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:20:04 GMT
    Two families are grieving after the bodies of two teenagers -- a boy and a girl -- were found in the street Sunday morning on Detroit's west side. Both were shot and killed.