Orlando man given George Zimmerman's old cell phone number bomb - New York News

Orlando man given George Zimmerman's old cell phone number bombarded with death threats

Posted: Updated:
  • Trayvon Martin shot by George ZimmermanMore>>

  • AP says Zimmerman painting is copy of AP photo

    AP says Zimmerman painting is copy of AP photo

    Friday, January 24 2014 3:44 PM EST2014-01-24 20:44:40 GMT
    The Associated Press has demanded that George Zimmerman halt the sale of one of his paintings because the news agency says it directly copies an AP photo.
    The Associated Press has demanded that George Zimmerman halt the sale of one of his paintings because the news agency says it directly copies an AP photo.
  • School official tells students Trayvon Martin case proved it is 'legal to hunt' children

    School official tells students Trayvon Martin case proved it is 'legal to hunt' children

    Thursday, September 26 2013 6:42 AM EDT2013-09-26 10:42:11 GMT
    An email sent to students by a University of Maryland official that cites the Trayvon Martin shooting as evidence "it is legal to hunt down and kill American children in Florida" is being blasted as the latest evidence of a left-wing bias on campus. The email, from William Dorland, director of the school's Honors College, starts by welcoming students back to campus, but then quickly veers into politics. "This year, we learned that it is legal to hunt down and kill American ...
    An email sent to students by a University of Maryland official that cites the Trayvon Martin shooting as evidence "it is legal to hunt down and kill American children in Florida" is being blasted as the latest evidence of a left-wing bias on campus. The email, from William Dorland, director of the school's Honors College, starts by welcoming students back to campus, but then quickly veers into politics. "This year, we learned that it is legal to hunt down and kill American ...
  • NAACP keeping up pressure in Trayvon Martin case

    NAACP keeping up pressure in Trayvon Martin case

    Monday, August 26 2013 8:56 PM EDT2013-08-27 00:56:58 GMT
    NAACP President Ben Jealous said Monday his organization collected petitions with more than 1.7 million signatures calling for charges to be filed against George Zimmerman for violating Trayvon Martin's civil rights.
    NAACP President Ben Jealous said Monday his organization collected petitions with more than 1.7 million signatures calling for charges to be filed against George Zimmerman for violating Trayvon Martin's civil rights.

At the age of 49, Orlando man Junior Alexander Guy finally bought his first cell phone. Within days he wished he hadn't.

At all hours of the day and night, the phone would ring and callers would insult and threaten him.

He quickly worked out that the number he had been given by T-Mobile previously belonged to Trayvon Martin murder accused George Zimmerman, The Orlando Sentinel reported, and was the number Zimmerman gave to 911 dispatchers the night of his fatal clash with Martin.

When his 911 call was released, his phone number -- 407-435-2400 -- became widely known. Zimmerman got rid of the number and it was reissued to Guy.

"At two o'clock, three o'clock in the morning I kept getting these [calls]," Guy said.

In all, he got about 70 threatening calls between May 7, when he bought the phone, and May 16, when he gave it to a lawyer -- who is petitioning T-Mobile to pay damages to Guy.

T-Mobile refused, saying it gave Guy a new number and provided an account credit.

It also made the sensible decision to retire the number to prevent another innocent party ending up on the receiving end of death threats.

Zimmerman, 28, was charged with second-degree murder in April after he shot and killed the unarmed Martin, a 17-year-old African-American, in a gated community in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26.

He claims the shooting was in self-defense and has pleaded not guilty.

The six-week interval between Martin's death and Zimmerman's arrest sparked nationwide protests, with many claiming the shooting was racially motivated.

Read more: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-07/news/os-george-zimmerman-old-phone-number-20120606_1_t-mobile-cell-phone-phone-number

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Report: health risks at some nail salons

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:28 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:28:27 GMT
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
    One of the most surprising findings in a report from the New York City public advocate is that city officials have virtually no authority over how nail salons are run. The city can't enforce standards like they do with restaurants, so it's clearly a case of beauty buyer beware. We get our nails done without thinking too much about it.
  • Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Car strikes toddler; driver arrested

    Monday, September 15 2014 10:15 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:15:49 GMT
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
    Police on Long Island say a 30-year-old driver has been arrested in connection with an accident that injured a 3-year-old girl being pushed in a stroller. Police say Scott Shea of Middle Island was driving a Jeep northbound on William Floyd Parkway, just south of Montauk Highway, when he struck the toddler at about 3:45 p.m. Monday.
  • Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Lawsuit settlements reached in Metro-North crash

    Monday, September 15 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-16 00:39:39 GMT
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a Bridgeport train crash last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
    Four of 28 people who sued the Metro-North Railroad in federal court after being injured in a train crash in Connecticut last year have settled with the commuter railroad.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices