Hate crime charges for alleged Oak Park robber - New York News

Hate crime charges for alleged Oak Park robber

Posted: Updated:
CHICAGO (Sun-Times Media Wire) -

An 18-year-old man has been charged with a hate crime for his part in a robbery of a man on an Oak Park street this week.

Alton L. Hayes III, of 1233 N. Woodbine Ave., was allegedly one of two people who attacked a man walking on the 600 block of North Kenilworth Avenue at 12:45 a.m. Tuesday.

Hayes and a 15-year-old Chicago boy walked up behind a 19-year-old man and allegedly pinned his arms to his side, according to police.

Hayes allegedly picked up a large tree branch, pointed it at the man and said "empty your pockets, white boy."

The two allegedly rifled through the victim's pockets, then threw him to the ground and punched him "numerous times" in the head and back before running away.

A police officer responding to a dispatch call of the attack spotted two young men walking on Oak Park Avenue, but they fled when he turned his squad car around.

When other officers spotted the pair in a nearby alley, they ran. Police cordoned off the area and did a search through the yards.

Hayes and the boy were arrested at gunpoint without incident, according to a witness, after police found them finding them hiding behind bushes in a rear yard.

Detective Cmdr. Ladon Reynolds said Hayes and the boy were charged with attempt robbery, aggravated battery and a hate crime, all felonies.

Hayes and the boy are black; the victim is white.

Reynolds declined to be specific about any comments made by Hayes during the alleged robbery attempt.

"They gave indication that part of the reason for the crime had something to do with the victim's race," Reynolds said.

Hayes is being held in lieu of $80,000 bond and has a Friday court date at the Maybrook courthouse.

The boy was referred to juvenile court.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Crash in Lincoln Tunnel causes major delays

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 3:06 PM EDT2014-09-02 19:06:51 GMT
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.
    One of the tubes of the Lincoln Tunnel was closed for nearly four hours after a chain-reaction accident involving a New York-bound jitney bus and two other vehicles. Port Authority of New York and New Jersey spokesman Steve Coleman says three people were reported injured in the accident in the center tube at about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday.

  • $1M Powerball ticket sold in NJ set to expire

    $1M Powerball ticket sold in NJ set to expire

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:23 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:23:45 GMT
    State lottery officials say a Powerball ticket worth $1 million that was sold at a northern New Jersey convenience store last year will soon expire.
    State lottery officials say a Powerball ticket worth $1 million that was sold at a northern New Jersey convenience store last year will soon expire.
  • Princeton worker told to choose medical pot or job

    Princeton worker told to choose medical pot or job

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:19 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:19:48 GMT
    A Princeton University employee says he has been told to choose between medical marijuana and his job.
    A Princeton University employee says he has been told to choose between medical marijuana and his job.
Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices