Report: Newer Victims In Sandusky Case - New York News

Report: Newer Victims In Sandusky Case

Posted:

The Harrisburg Patriot-News says two new victims have emerged in the Jerry Sandusky case, and both cases are underage people who reported incidents in the past two months.

Slideshow: Police Release New Riot Photos | Students Destroy VanStudent Protest

The report raises more questions about the timing of the indictment against Sandusky and two Penn State officials, since a grand jury finding was released on November 4th, about three years after an alleged victim complained about Sandusky.

The Patriot-News says two new cases involved juveniles and fall under the wing of Children and Youth Services. So the newer victims must still be underage.

Fox 29 and The New York Times previously reported there may be as many as 20 victims in the case, up from the 8 victims named in the grand-jury presentment.

Gov. Tom Corbett was again pressed on Monday about why it took three years for the state to bring sex-abuse charges against Sandusky, the former Penn State assistant football coach.

Corbett briefly took reporter questions after a Pennsylvania Press Club appearance and the answers were similar to those given by Corbett to Fox 29’s Jeff Cole last week.

Corbett said the investigation had to be thorough to stand up in court and its length wasn’t unusual. The goal, Corbett said, was to make sure the case against Sandusky could be won so that other future cases wouldn’t face obstacles in the justice system.

Corbett was the state attorney general overseeing the case for about two years, and as he was running for governor in 2010, while Frank Noonan was the Chief of Criminal Investigations for Corbett.

Noonan took that position in July 2009, after the Sandusky case came to Corbett's office in March 2009.

On Monday, Corbett repeated statements that he only knew about the case through his contacts with Noonan and his press secretary, Kevin Harley.

The role of Noonan is crucial, since he reportedly made the decision to increase staffing on the case from one investigator to eight, according to the Patriot-Times. It’s unclear if Noonan made that call as Corbett’s chief investigator in late 2010 or as acting State Police commissioner in early 2011.

Corbett said he updates on the Sandusky case he received after January were brief because of his new role as governor and he had to wait for the grand jury presentment to come out in November 2011.

The New York Times reported last week that the key break in the part of the case affecting Penn State officials came last fall, when police found a tip on an online forum about a sexual attack on a young boy in 2002.

That tip led to grand jury testimony by Penn State assistant Mike McQueary in December 2010, about a month after Corbett won election. Penn State coach Joe Paterno and school officials Tim Curley and Gary Schultz testified in February 2011, a month after Corbett became governor.

But the actual case against Sandusky came to then-attorney general Corbett in March 2009.

The Patriot-Times reported that only one state police officer was assigned to the case for a period of 15 to 18 months, which has placed the onus on Corbett.

A Corbett official denies the Patriot-Times report that only one officer was on the case, but the newspaper sticks by its sources.

The preliminary hearing for Sandusky, who is accused of sexually abusing eight boys over a 15-year period, is now set for Tuesday for Dec. 13 in Bellefonte. It was originally set for December 7.

At the hearing, prosecutors will try to show that they have enough evidence to take the case to trial.

Sandusky's lawyer, Joe Amedola, said in an interview with ABC on Tuesday that new charges could be coming at the hearing and Sandusky could be jailed.

"My concern is if they bring new charges based upon new people coming forth, that bail's going to be set, and he's going to wind up in jail," Amendola told ABC.

Sandusky is free on $100,000 unsecured bond but he faces 40 counts related to sexual abuse of children.

A posting on a court website said the new date was meant to accommodate "logistical needs" and a media circus is expected at the courthouse.

The hearing for Gary Schultz and Tim Curley remains scheduled for Dec. 6 in the Dauphin County Courthouse in Harrisburg.

The two Penn State administrators are accused of failing to properly report suspected abuse and perjury before a grand jury.

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices