State Attorney breaks silence in Martin Case - New York News

State Attorney breaks silence in Martin Case

Posted: Updated:
  • 911 CallsMore>>

  • 911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    Wednesday, April 11 2012 9:52 AM EDT2012-04-11 13:52:36 GMT
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
  • Exclusive InterviewMore>>

  • Robert Zimmerman interview

    Robert Zimmerman interview

    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.
    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.

There are new developments in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.  For the first time, the State Attorney is speaking out about the case. 

Back on February 26, Martin was shot and killed by George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer in a gated Seminole County community. The teen was unarmed and only carrying a pack of skittles and an beverage when he was shot.  Zimmerman said the shooting was an act of self-defense, and since the incident, Zimmerman has been free and hasn't faced any charges.

This outraged the community and sparked many rallies and protests, for what many are calling the lack of justice for Trayvon Martin.  In a statement from State Attorney Norm Wolfinger, he addressed the community's concerns along with where the investigation stands Tuesday morning:

"I share in the desire of the family and the community to accurately collect and evaluate all the facts surrounding the tragic death of Trayvon Martin. That is why I directed the expeditious review of the investigation which was delivered by the Sanford Police Department one week ago today; areas for further investigation have been identified; and, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement has agreed to assist and has been working hard with my office since Friday March 16th.

"I will also be utilizing the investigative resources of the Seminole County Grand Jury which will be called to session on Tuesday, April 10, 2012.  I respectfully request that the public remain patient as this process continues forward.

"We are a country based upon law, and as the State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit I am sworn to uphold those laws. As I have previously stated, the public is entitled to no less than a thorough, deliberate, and just review of the facts. We intend to honor that commitment."


  • Photos of Casey Anthony

  • Click here to see photos of Casey Anthony through the months.
  • Trayvon Martin Coverage

  • Click here for stories, photos and 911 calls from the Trayvon Martin case.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • 8 mumps cases at NJ college

    8 mumps cases at NJ college

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:40 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:40:12 GMT
    Officials are investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at New Jersey's Stevens Institute of Technology.The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine.
    The New Jersey Department of Health is investigating eight confirmed cases of mumps found in students at Stevens Institute of Technology.  The college in Hoboken says the students range in age from 18 to 21. All were fully vaccinated with two documented doses of mumps-containing vaccine. Symptoms include swollen salivary glands, fever, headache, tiredness and loss of appetite.



  • Cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls

    NY cabbie accused of not paying $28,000 in tolls

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:32 AM EDT2014-04-18 14:32:20 GMT
    A New York City taxi driver has been arrested on charges he stole $28,000 in tolls by "piggybacking" on vehicles through E-Z Pass lanes while crossing the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.
    A New York City taxi driver has been arrested on charges he stole $28,000 in tolls by "piggybacking" on vehicles through E-Z Pass lanes while crossing the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge.
  • Search for woman who tried to snatch baby in stroller

    NYPD: Woman tried to snatch baby in stroller

    Friday, April 18 2014 7:37 AM EDT2014-04-18 11:37:43 GMT
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.
    Police want to question a woman who tried to push a stroller with a baby inside away from a nanny in Chelsea. The incident occurred on 8th Ave. and 17th St. at about 4 p.m. on Thursday. The 8-month-old baby was not harmed. People who were in the area jumped in to stop the woman before she took off southbound on 8th Ave., according to police. A sketch was released on Friday of the suspect.

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices