TO KEEP COYOTES FROM YOUR PROPERTY
· Bring pet food and water dishes inside.
· Do not put out food for birds.
· Do not leave food outside unattended; scrape your grill and burn off food residue.
· Cover garbage cans securely.
· Consider keeping small children and pets inside if there have been coyote sightings near your house.
· While outside, have handy a loud horn, noisemakers, or pots or pans to bang on and also things you can throw at coyotes.
IF A COYOTE APPROACHES YOU
· Be aggressive: stand tall, shout in a loud voice, throw things at coyote, maintain eye contact and wave your arms as you try to scare it away and head indoors or to a more populated area.
· Do not turn your back and run, as the coyote will then view you as prey and give chase.
· Call 911. Do not try to catch the coyote unless you are a trained animal trapper.