Family of slain teen wants answers - New York News

Family of slain teen wants answers

Trayvon Martin Trayvon Martin
  • 911 CallsMore>>

  • 911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    911 calls released in Sanford shooting

    Wednesday, April 11 2012 9:52 AM EDT2012-04-11 13:52:36 GMT
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
    Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.
  • Exclusive InterviewMore>>

  • Robert Zimmerman interview

    Robert Zimmerman interview

    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.
    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.

The family of a teenager who was shot to death by a neighborhood watchman in Sanford want answers as to why the man who pulled the trigger hasn't been charged.

Trayvon Martin, 17, came up from Miami last month to visit his father. Around 7:00 p.m. on Sunday Feb. 26, Sanford Police say as he was walking back to his step mother's townhome at the Twin Lakes community in Sanford and ran into Neighborhood Watch Representative George Zimmerman.  Authorities say Zimmerman called police to report Martin as a suspicious person. Zimmerman apparently followed the teenager and the two got to a fight.

Police say Zimmerman ended up shooting Martin. Zimmerman surrendered himself to police right away. They questioned him, but released him soon thereafter. Police say the incident is still under investigation.

"My son left Sanford, Florida in a body bag George Zimmerman went home to sleep in his own bed. Its senseless and the police in Sanford Florida isn't giving any answers," said Trayvon's father Tracy Martin.

The family and their attorney, Ben Crump, spoke to the media on Thursday. "We are hear to demand that the state attorney charge this home owner's sssociation loose cannon with murder," said Crump.

The Martin family believes they could find answers by listening to 911 calls placed by witnesses.  "We all deserve answers. The police department simply has to release those 911 tapes so we won't have to speculate further."

After Sanford Police denied the family's request to hand over 911 tapes by 5 p.m. Thursday, Crump said he would file a public information lawsuit first thing on Friday.

"Those 911 calls and non-emergency call Mr. Zimmerman made are part of our active investigation," said Sanford Police Chief Bill Lee.

Trayvon's family tells FOX that Martin had walked to the store around 6:30 p.m. and never made it home. Records show that, at 7:17 p.m., Zimmerman called the non-emergency police line with concern.

"He (Zimmerman) just considered him (Martin Trayvon) to be suspicious in that neighborhood," said Chief Lee.

Lee said the directions given to Zimmerman were clear. "Dispatch told him to wait until we got there."

He says investigators are still trying to clarify what happened next. "In one of the 911 calls, there is evidence you can hear in the background of a struggle and a gunshot," said Chief Lee.

Records show that when police arrived at 7:30 p.m., Trayvon Martin was dead. Police say Zimmerman is claiming he acted in self-defense.

We knocked on several doors trying to find Zimmerman, but had not luck. Thursday night, Chief Lee told FOX 35 they have two more witnesses to interview before they wrap up their investigation.

"Understand we're doing everything we can to make sure this investigation is complete and thorough and fair," said Chief Lee.

He says they hope to have their case wrapped up and ready to present to the State Attorney's office by early next week.

Martin died just two weeks shy of his 17th birthday. 

  • Photos of Casey Anthony

  • Click here to see photos of Casey Anthony through the months.
  • Trayvon Martin Coverage

  • Click here for stories, photos and 911 calls from the Trayvon Martin case.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
  • New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    New Jersey sues over Florida pizza shop logo

    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
    The New Jersey Turnpike Authority wants a Florida pizza shop to pay a big toll for using a logo similar to the iconic Garden State Parkway's green and yellow signs.
  • Some StubHub accounts breached

    Some StubHub accounts breached

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-23 20:34:20 GMT
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.
    Six people were indicted Wednesday in an international ring that managed to take over more than 1,000 StubHub users' accounts and fraudulently buy tickets to such prime events as Jay-Z and Elton John concerts, a New York Yankees-Boston Red Sox game and Broadway shows like "The Book of Mormon," the Manhattan district attorney said. Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance Jr. said the thieves would then resell the tickets and split up the proceeds.

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices