911 calls released in Sanford shooting - New York News

911 calls released in Sanford shooting

Posted: Updated:
  • Exclusive InterviewMore>>

  • Robert Zimmerman interview

    Robert Zimmerman interview

    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.
    For the first time since that fateful night on February 26, the father of a neighborhood watch volunteer who shot and killed an unarmed teenager sat down for a television interview.

Sanford Police have released the 911 calls placed on the night of a fatal shooting which took the life of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin.

WARNING: Graphic language in calls above (scroll to see multiple clips)

Martin's parents arrived at Sanford City Hall to listen to the recordings which police had previously refused to release.  Officials first allowed the family to hear the recordings before making them public.   Martin's parents previously sued to have the recordings released. A hearing for the case had been scheduled for Monday.

The first recording is a non-emergency call placed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who said he shot Martin in an act of self-defense.  His call was placed moments before the shooting.  The subsequent seven calls were placed during and after the shooting. 

Martin's parents were too devastated to talk to us after listening to the recordings, but their attorneys say the calls prove that there's enough evidence to make an arrest.

"What you hear on that tape is shocking," it is riveting. You hear this cries for help," said attorneys Ben Crump.

"The most shocking thing to me is you hear a shot, a warning shot. Then you hear a 17-year-old boy begging for his life, and then you hear another shot," said attorney. Natalie Jackson.

Crump said these 911 calls prove that this wasn't self defense by neighborhood watch capt George Zimmerman.

"You don't hear interaction between Trayvon and Mr. Zimmerman as the police suggested," said Crump.

Jackson added, "The police department decided to replace justice with a pr strategy to make themselves look better this is an insult to this family. This was not self defense, this was not manslaughter this was murder."

Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett is calling for an independent review by the Department of Justice. "Just review where we stand and what we've done. Make sure everything has been reviewed properly have a third set of eyes on it."

Police Chief Bill Lee didn't want to comment on the release of the recordings on Friday but has said he conducted a fair investigation. Earlier in the week, he said there wasn't enough evidence to arrest Zimmerman.

  • Photos of Casey Anthony

  • Click here to see photos of Casey Anthony through the months.
  • Trayvon Martin Coverage

  • Click here for stories, photos and 911 calls from the Trayvon Martin case.

Follow us on Pinterest

 

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Woman killed in NYC home with 2 children there

    Woman killed in NYC home with 2 children there

    Saturday, April 19 2014 5:58 PM EDT2014-04-19 21:58:30 GMT
    A woman was shot and killed inside her Ozone Park home on Saturday while her two children were there. The woman was shot in the chest and died at her house on 101st Avenue and 104th Street. The NYPD says the shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute.
    A woman was shot and killed inside her Ozone Park home on Saturday while her two children were there. The woman was shot in the chest and died at her house on 101st Avenue and 104th Street. The NYPD says the shooting stemmed from a domestic dispute.
  • Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Man struck and killed by NYC subway train

    Saturday, April 19 2014 3:19 PM EDT2014-04-19 19:19:38 GMT
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
    A man in his 60s was killed by an oncoming train in midtown Manhattan after jumping on the tracks to grab his personal belongings that fell.
  • Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Woman in custody in NYC stroller snatch attempt

    Saturday, April 19 2014 2:55 PM EDT2014-04-19 18:55:51 GMT
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.
    Police say an 8-month-old baby was nearly snatched by a stranger while being pushed down a Manhattan street in his stroller, but a bystander intervened to foil the abduction attempt.

FOX 35 Weather Authority

Powered by WorldNow
Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices